Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vacation at a Steel



Judging by the relaxed tone of Anthony McGinnis' voice, it would be fair to assume he was anticipating an upcoming vacation to a remote getaway where he could unwind without a care in the world-and in many respects, he was.

The fact that he owns the remote getaway and that it is situated a mere 10 feet from his home in Pine Hill, AL means McGinnis will save a bundle in air fare, hotel rooms, and rental cars when the need to get away from it all strikes.

"It is a place that I will use as a garage/showroom of sorts for my cars and motorcycle," says McGinnis. "I also partitioned off a section of the building for an area that I call my man room. It will hold my pool table, a wood heater, a TV-basically it will be a sports room."

The building McGinnis is referring to is made by SteelMaster Buildings, which is located in Virginia Beach, VA. For more than 29 years, the company has manufactured, designed, and supplied pre-fabricated arched steel structures to 40,000 customers located in every state of the United States, in 40 countries, and on seven continents around the world.

Michelle Wickum is SteelMaster's director of marketing and says that the company's buildings are popular for a variety of reasons, including their unmatched durability. "Steel does not rot, warp, shrink, or split, and it is non-combustible," says Wickum. "SteelMaster buildings are easier to handle, stronger, and less expensive than any other common building materials. Steel's inherent strength resists fire, earthquake, and hurricane damage, and steel components weigh up to 60 percent less than wood members."

In deciding to build a steel building, McGinnis says that durability factored in as well as cost, ease of construction, and aesthetics.

"My home has a metal roof," says McGinnis. "The area where I chose to put up the building sits below the house, so when you come up the drive you can see both structures, and it just looks wonderful. The doors on my SteelMaster are painted white, and they stand out. It just works."

McGinnis completed most of the work on the building before he left Alabama to live in Washington for a couple of months to work on a contract project. While he has been away, a couple serious storms blew through the area.

"My neighbor watches out over my property, and I called him after this last storm to make sure the SteelMaster buildings was ok. He said that it has held up great, which is a big load off my mind since all of my cars and my motorcycle are parked inside under lock and key. I really wasn't that concerned though because I could tell that the building was incredibly stable while building it."

McGinnis says it took him and a couple of friends about two weeks to put together the building in their spare time-a process that went very smoothly thanks to the videos that SteelMaster has posted on its YouTube Channel.

"They have videos that show the process step-by-step, and I watched many of those before I started doing anything. I also took note of the equipment that various people use in the videos, and made sure we had the different items on site when it came time for us to start building. I also had a few conversations with the SteelMaster reps and found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful."

Wickum says that the company prides itself on offering consumers a reliable, quality building that they can build themselves.

"Most of our customers assemble and raise the arches to complete the construction of their SteelMaster building without a contractor," says Wickum. "Each steel building comes with an easy-to-read and detailed construction manual to aid in the construction. Also, our buildings use a one-size nut and bolt system as the only fastener as well as precision-fit components, so assembling a new SteelMaster building is that much easier."

McGinnis says that he loves his building so much that he is already planning on buying another one.

"This time I am going to attach the steel building to my home and use it solely as a garage, and I am going to turn the existing garage into a family room," says McGinnis. "I can't wait to get back home to finish up the first building and then get started on the second!"

In addition to ‘man rooms' and garages, SteelMaster's steel and metal pre-engineered buildings are designed for a broad range of residential and commercial applications including homes, farm buildings, workshops, agricultural storage, Quonsets, airplane hangars, RV storage, roofing systems, carports, military buildings, commercial warehousing, and industrial storage as well as a wide variety of custom building applications including athletic facilities, retail stores, churches, bus stops, smoke shacks, doggie dorms, and correctional facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment